23 April 2012

Double Header - Whernside & Ingleborough

Location - Yorkshire Dales
Height - 2415ft & 2375ft
Time - 6.15 hrs
Distance - 14.8 miles
Conditions - Sunny morning turning to hail later
Walking with - Solo walk

The aim of this mammoth walk today was 2 fold.  1.  To give my legs a good workout before heading back down to Wales next weekend and 2.  To burn as many calories as I could in order to compensate for the naughty snacks I'd had earlier in the week.  The weather forecast was not looking that great but I was determined to do it anyway as my own little personal challenge.  So early doors on Sunday I found myself packed up and in my car heading north on the M6 and towards Ribblehead.

On a previous trip to Whernside the visibility was poor so it was a pleasure to start my walk today with the sun glinting of the first hill to tackle and the viaduct was looking as impressive as ever. As the weather forecast was for heavy rain I left the big camera at home and just had my little compact with me.  Quality not as good but still gives a me a picture story for my walk.


Its always exciting to see a train on the viaduct and today was no exception.  Pity it wasn't a steam train with the smoke blowing but I guess that's just too much to ask for.

The first initial path and to be honest most of this walk is paved this way which is really good, good that is when its not wet.  For now it was dry and I was thankful for that.

The weather is still unsure what its going to do today.  Billowing clouds but ever increasing blue sky means that it may turn out better afterall.


Looking back I can see Ingleborough which will be my afternoon delight today. Even now with the sun out it looks a looming presence on the landscape and I'm secretly looking forward to tackling it again today but for now, my focus is Whernside.
 After the week's rain the stone gulley is flowing quite fast and I seem to remember it was dry the last time I was here so it was nice to see and hear the water rushing through.
 Left turn on the path to the summit and again pleasantly surprised by the views on offer today.  Time to strip a layer off as the sun does indeed have some heat in it.

The last time I was here the clouds were so low that we could only see glimpses of this little lake through bits of broken cloud.  It was a delight to see it today and again Ingleborough was there waiting in the background.

What a delight these views were.  Pea soup the last time so nothing was on offer but today I could see as far as my eyes would let me and the light bouncing off the faraway hills was just beautiful.  Pity my little camera didn't do it justice.
 Still climbing and still the views open up.  I wish I had a map or even a compass with me as I've no idea which direction this is however its still breathtaking.

 Still climbing it was a pleasure to look back down to the viaduct and where I'm parked.  This is my favorite view of the viaduct.  Such an impressive feature up close and looking so small from up high.
The trig finally.  The last time up Whernside the weather was so bad and visibility so poor that we walked right past where the trig point was.  Its hidden on the other side of the wall and accessed through a small hole.  Today however it was hard not to miss.

Me, at the trig, I had my tripod with me so was able to use the self timer on the camera and I had a few mins of fun setting that up to get a "me" picture to add to my collection.  Good job there was no one around as it was a bit comical getting it set up but a lot of fun!
Leaving the top my thoughts start to turn to that beastie right ahead and it seems so far away.  Time was still on my side and I had no doubts that I would be up there in no time.  Now for the descent........
The descent of Whernside was tougher than I'd remembered.  The previous rain made everything muddier and slippier and although its clearly paved it was tricky coming down the rocky path and took a bit longer than I'd anticipated.  Following the dig deep and one step after another method it wasnt long before I was practically on level ground again.  My knees are aching at this point and I'm starting to doubt whether they have another descent in them today.....time will tell!  
My ultimate favorite picture of Whernside.  I have the same one from a previous visit and its a fitting picture to say goodbye to what is not my favorite of the 3 Yorkshire peaks but one that has served its purpose today. 
Heading towards Ingleborough I couldn't help but notice the light changing and the darker clouds congregating as a warning to what was up ahead.  It would have been nice today to get a clear view from the top but I'm not sure that's going to be possible judging by the gathering clouds.  Typical, I'm sure that the closer I get the darker it becomes and its almost like it knows I'm coming and saving up all its wrath just for me.

Not looking good in the other direction either as the blackness seems to be overtaking any blue sky that I'd enjoyed earlier in the day.  The temperature has dropped too and this is the first time today when I seriously doubt whether I'll actually make this second peak today......hmmmmm! 

True to form, Ingleborough never disappoints and as I have a last brew stop before tackling the wall of steps I can see the cloud gathering on the top.  Lovely, just what I didn't want and I'm seriously debating now whether to actually go right to the top or whether to scale the wall of steps (or the gates of hell as I've renamed them) and just turn and go along the ridge...........

With a mixture of "this is good for me" and "omg what am I doing here" I ventured up the path and about half way Ingleborough unleashed its worst - Hail, hard and driving hail.  At the top part of these steps there is a small bit of scrambling and it was a joy to reach that part however not as much fun in the hail as things became just a little bit slippy.  Yikes!


At the top the hail stopped, typical, and I decided that it would be a shame to come all this way and not make the climb up the the summit.  The thought that I wouldn't go now seemed ludicrous so I headed right, up the rocky path, meeting several folk coming down who'd experienced the hail at the summit and looked suitibly drenched and weary.  Looking back down the ridge it was lovely to see the sun bouncing of the distant hills.
Oh good god, here comes the hail again.  Just what I needed on the flat and exposed summit.  It was almost laughable but the trig awaited so it was hood up, head down, slog on. 
 All hail the trig! 

Things brightened up a bit on my initial descent however the hail had turned to rain and this initial rocky bit soon turned into a bit of a river.  I met several people on their way up who were struggling and moved to the side to let them pass and turned my thoughts to getting back to the car.  It was a pleasure to finally make it back to the ridge where its relatively flat going for a bit. 
Slippy, muddy, hail in your face, water dripping off your nose, hands cold, knees sore, legs weary........oh yes, I'd had a workout today and it wasn't over yet! 

The descent was torturous.  The rain heavy and visibility poor.  My knees and legs rebelled against any downward turn and at one point I thought I was going to be on the side of that hill for hrs and hrs when infact I did come down quite quickly.  It was hard going and I was thankful to finally see the road that would take me back along to the viaduct where my car was parked.   The rain/hail had stopped now and the sun was trying to come back out but my only thoughts were getting the heater on in the car, getting my wet jacket off and having a cuppa.
I am absolutely thrilled that I completed my goal for today.  There were times that I didnt think I would do it, times I doubted myself and formulated excuses in my head but I overcame them all and did it and I'm completely chuffed to bits.  As usual I met some lovely people along the way, including:

Mr Reading who was up here for the week to get away from family life and doing the 3 Yorkshire peaks individually then by the end of the week the 3pk challenge.

Mr & Mrs Derbyshire and their hipflask.

George & Dad who were completing the 3pk challenge today and well within their goal time.

Mr Fell runner who lived locally and was running the 3pks today.  How fit?

The 2 young girls who were out on their first walk and wanted to do the 3pk challenge in the Summer.

All of them on their own personal journey today and a pleasure to chat to them all.

2 comments:

  1. Great post I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Ingleborough can be a right sod with its' diminishing summit views can't it. How did you get off Ingleborough - the same way that you went up or via Simon and Park Fells?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi FG, thanks for your comments. Ingleborough never fails to captivate and disappoint me but that's probably why I love it so much. I came off along the ridge through Simon Fell I think it was. To the end of the ridge then left down the side towards the limestone pavement again, then back to the road and along to the viaduct to get the car. Great day, glad you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete