05 August 2012

Pen y Ghent - Again!

Location - Yorkshire Dales
Height - Pen y Ghent 2278ft
Time - 3 hrs on the dot!
Distance - 6.5 miles
Conditions - Sun, warm, breeze, perfect!

Well it was one of those days where a piddley little hill just wouldnt do and with time short, there wasnt the option of Snowdonia so off I set in the direction of Yorkshire with only 1 hill on my mind - Pen y Ghent. I did this earlier in the year and have since been up Ingleborough and Whernside a few times so today was Pen y Ghents turn as long as I didnt get distracted by the wonderful Ingleborough on the way (which knowing me was very likely!)

I arrived in Horton in Ribblesdale just after 10am with my change all ready for the parking meter in the car park only to find the car park closed which meant a wee drive around the village looking for a spot. I found one on a verge, near some cottages and couldnt see a sign that said private so I parked up and set off out on the path. It did cross my mind a few times throughout the day that I may find my car clamped or a big horrid sticker on it when I returned but hoped not.

So on we go:


My first proper view of her as I head up the path.  The billowing clouds signifying that there could be a change in the weather today as thunder was forecast as were a few showers, fingers crossed it stays dry.


One of the things I love about walking (upwards) is the spectacular views it provides and as ordered today's views are nothing short of spectacular.  The skies do provide a certain extra drama to any picture and its one of the things I love that as you climb the views change and unfold before your eyes.  Love it! 


So its onwards and upwards as my mother used to say (she probably still does to be honest!) Legs starting to feel heavy as they've not yet realised what they're required to do today but I know that feeling will pass.  C'mon mountain legs, I know you're in there somewhere!


Over to the East the skies are changing with more darker clouds making an appearance.  Nice to have a bit of drama in a picture however I'm only 1/3 of the way up this baby and do not fancy a soaking however a bit of thunder and lightning might be something special (if I can find some sheltered spot to view from).  How exciting would that be eeeeeeeeeeek!


I love paths, this must tie into some strange subconscious OCD that I have as I love their order, their symmatry and their purpose.  Any path that leads you to a great big lump of gorgeous rock is ok in my book!


The side view of Pen y Ghent and not its most attractive view (to me personally) but certainly shows its rocky and cragginess........Geography teachers would be drooling over this pic probably :D


 Nearly at the top and one of my fav views from Pen y Ghent.  As far as the eye can see with a bit of drama in the sky to add extra effect.  I really have been lucky with the weather so far today and as I mention this to some walkers making the last push for the top they now say I've jinxed the weather and scowl at me......oh well lol!




Finally at the top and sat down to have some lunch and have just a moment or two to reflect on previous visits here and to just bask in that sense of euphoria that greets you when you reach a summit.  A mix of pride and happiness and most of all peace.  Peace is what I felt as I sat there looking at all around me and thought how bloomin lucky I was to be able to do this, enjoy this, experience this!

 
 


This is the first sign that the weather is closing in and there is now a bite to the air.  Its been t shirt weather the whole way up but I suspect my fleece or indeed my coat may be on before long.  Time to get up and get moving.


But not before the obligatory trig shot! 


Nearly down and the weather is still being kind and no rain has emerged.  Its noticably cooler but I've only needed the addition of a light fleece.  I didnt take the detour to Hull Pot today as when you've seen it once, you've seen it and I found out there was no water rushing down it so passed it by. 


One of the things I've noticed on my "summer" walking trips is that thistles are all over the place.  Being a wee Scottish lassie it always puts a smile on my face to see them.  Beautiful wee purple flowers.............oh flower of Scotland, when will we see, yer likes again.......all together now! 

 

And before I know it, I'm back at the car, which thankfully has not been clamped or towed away however as soon as I reach for the drivers door I see a rather large sign that says " No Parking, this is for the cottages only "....oops so my excuse of not seeing a sign wouldnt have worked, yikes, quick getaway but not before one last look at this little beauty.



The weather was perfect today.  No rain, a nice breeze and a bit of sun to pop a bit of colour on my face.  Thank you Pen y Ghent, as always you never fail to delight and surprise me.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Well it's no Longridge Fell...but it'll do :) This is also my fave of the three Yorks peaks. Looks like you had a lovely day with the weather to match. Great trip report :)

    ReplyDelete