13 November 2012

Troutbeck round and up and down then whoosh......

It was forecast a beautiful day, sunny skies with only cloud to come later in the day.  Perfect for a wander up and over some, as yet, un-ticked Wainwrights but before any of that we took a quick trip into Ambleside before heading to Troutbeck and the views behind us as we climbed up out of Ambleside were stunning.  A thick layer of cloud lay nestled over lake Windemere obscuring any view of the lake or the surrounding land.  It was simply stunning and the first photo opportunity of the day.


Arriving Troutbeck just before 9 we found a perfect spot to park and it was on with our boots (and new hat!) and time to get going.  6 summits was our target for today Sour howes, Sallows, Yoke, Ill Bell, Froswick & finishing off with Troutbeck Tongue.  Early on in the walk we could clearly see the route we'd take showing the full round in all its spendour.  We were only on the road a short while before we headed left up a path that would take us up to our first target Sour Howes.


The going was fairly easy, a bit boggy and muddy in places but nothing too bad compared to the mudbath of last weekend.  The most noticable thing was the temperature.  There was hardly any wind and with the sun out it made it quite warm.  Warm enough to dispence with gloves and hats and before we reached the top jackets were put back in bags.  The views opening up were spectacular and certainly made the going easier.  The cloud was still like a thick blanket over Windemere and other surrounding bodies of water.







Finally on the top and we could now see clearly for miles.  We had a quick snack stop (banana) , although I wish I'd picked a dry patch of ground to sit on as I did get a little bit dirty and damp sitting on the piece of grass that I chose.....big mistake!!!! Up and onwards quickly again to the sounds of "I told you so" lol, we headed over to our next target on a path that was quite clearly marked but proved quite boggy in places.  There were a few people on the route.  A group of 3 kids, one with a very deep voice that we passed and a young couple who seemed to be on the same route as us.


Sour Howe and Sallows under our belt our next Target was Yoke and probably for me the most pleasing summit of the day.  Once out of the muddy track we were following we were met with a more man made path that wove its way up to the summit.  It was solid underfoot and quite pleasing to walk.  We were making good time and the weather was still with us however it was getting a tad breezier and jackets were now back on, as were hats and gloves.  


The summit of Yoke proved an excellent place to stop for lunch and sheltered round the back of of the rocks at the top was wind free and still being warmed by the sun we ate our sandwiches (ham that slightly tasted of banana) and got the map out to see what we could see around us.  High Street was over to the left and there was a most impressive ridge linking 2 gorgeous hills together.  Soon we were joined by the young couple we'd met earlier in the day and they were on their own Wainwright hunt.  Luckily for them they both worked at GO in Warrington and regaled tales of having their paycheck spent before payday on all sorts of lovely gear.  We wondered if we could get Saturday Jobs at GO just for the discount lol.

Onwards again over towards Ill Bell with its distinctive cairns on the top.  3 in total and the middle one we decided was the true top as it was the highest.  The views West now took our eyes over to the Helvellyn Range with some spattered snow still on the summit.  I think it was about this point that I started to sing a Christmas tune......it was the snow that did it, honest..... and was promptly told that if I sung another Christmas song before December I'd be given a puppy.  What would I do with a puppy lol, Funniest moment of the day.  (don't tell anyone but I did accidentally start singing another christmas tune later in the day but bit my tongue quickly, I don't think I was heard eeeek!) 








Down off Ill Bell and heading to the 5th summit of the day Frostwick.  Down another rocky steep path and then back up again.  Frostwick was a nice little hill and we met a man at the top heading in the other direction who delighted in pointing out the hills surrounding us.  Summit touched and it was off back down again heading for the last summit of the day.  Not really a summit as it lay nestled in the base of the arc we'd just come round but it was a summit none the less.  The views right out to the sea were stunning with Windemere now free of cloud.








Following the path down and round towards Troutbeck Tongue it was actually pretty easy going.  Nice and soft underfoot and a distinctive path through the grassy banks that was pretty easy to follow.  My camera decided to stop working so I took the battery out and put it away in my bag which turned out to be a good call as the path soon met with a little river and our footing became just a little slippier than I'd anticipated.  One bad footstep and my legs were taken from under me and found myself on what only could be described as a slide in one of those water parks.  Only this slide wasn't smooth fiberglass or plastic this one was mucky and dirty and wet and damp but had all the propulsion of a flume.  Sliding down the path I went, not able to stop myself until finally I came to a halt covered in wet sticky mud, grass and worst of all prickly thorns.  Little fine whispy thorns in my hands, on my legs and it was such a ridiculous situation to be in there was only 1 thing to do.....laugh.  I probably have been wetter and muddier at any evening winter BMF class but there you didn't still have 3-4 miles to walk up and down a big hill but it was all good.  An added bit of adventure to the day and what is now, as I look back, a very funny moment.


After all the sliding drama we made our way up Troutbeck Tongue.  The sun has gone now and the temperature has dropped slightly but we're still making good time even with me stopping every now and then to remove a wee prickly thorn.  We spotted a bird that was quite unusual.  I'd seen a couple earlier in the day but their wings made an unusual flapping sound and their cry wasn't one I'd heard before.  In the distance we could see a black object that held the interest of the bird.  Too large to be a rabbit or small rodent and too small to be a sheep but we were too far away to see what exactly it was.  Forgetting completely that I had the binoculars in my bag we watched it till it disappeared still not knowing what it was. 

Troutbeck Tongue proved an easy descent and soon we found ourselves on flat land again, our route towering behind us and in front of us the most unusual stile ever.  Of course you had to go over it.  It was there, wasn't it but served no purpose as a stile other than its shape lol.



And before we knew it we were back at the car and I was slightly drier but still as muddy.  11 miles of delicious lakeland views, 6 Wainwrights, outstanding company and a brilliant day's walking.  My only wish is that one day I'd like to finish a walk without looking like a creature from the black lagoon or some refugee from some god forsaken land.......fingers crossed for next week.  I really do love the lakes and all the entertainment they bring. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment